Thursday, May 2, 2013

Adventures in Fly Fishing

The fly fisher I am featuring in my cartoons is based on a former class mate from my childhood, he is a real person by the name of John Turner.  After high school he went into the Army and I went into the Marine Corps and both served in South Vietnam.  He is a fly fisherman and those guys have always intrigued me in the way they look at their sport of catching fish with a hand made "fly".
Fly Fishing is a pseudo religion of sorts.  They do not go to any organized ceremony or pay any money to any organization but the devotion to their passion is far more than most devout church goer.  Fly fishing is done all around the globe and strangely enough most of the fish that they catch never get cook but is tossed back into the river.
Most fly fishermen or women probably feel as close to God standing out there in some ice cold white water river or creek all by them selves as other people going to a church, temple or mosque.  There is something very restful sitting on the bank of  fast running white water river such as the Salmon River up in Idaho or the Cache La Poudre River in Colorado.  For the foreseeable future I will be doing cartoons of John's adventures in fly fishing all with no captions.
That along with a daily page of the kid's book my wife and I are putting together.

No comments:

Post a Comment