Sunday, September 15, 2013

Role models


A few years back, I read a book about writing comedy.  In truth over the years I have found exactly two books on writing humor.  In this one book, the author wrote about writing humor for a comic strip that it was far more important to have a strong personality than the art work.  
Notice the comic strip characters that have endured over the years: Charlie Brown, everyone on the Simpsons, The professor in Shoe, Danae from Non Sequitur comic strip, all the Dilbert characters, and Cathy.
As they say, "Build it and they will come." Build up a strong character and the gags will fall in line.
This comic strip is still in the developement stage and as we go along you will see some changes to the characters.
This week I changed the hair style of Hector to look sort of like Bart Simpson..... thank you Matt Groening.

"Love is a snowmobile racing across the tundra and then suddenly it flips over, pinning you underneath. At night, the ice weasels come."  Matt Groening.

I guess it is not good to be eaten alive by Ice Weasels.  Of course it would be far worse to be eaten dead.

Next week I will begin introducing Hectors home life.  Sometimes we have to look at the home life to understand why kids act a certain way when they are at school.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wow, your first day at the new school! Lisa, have fun. Bart, don't!
--MARGE SIMPSON
  Donuts. Is there anything they can’t do?
Homer Simpson
 . Mom, I’m going to give you life the way I imagine you gave me life…by pressing Alt+F5 repeatedly.
— Bart Simpson
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
When nine hundred years old you reach, look as good, you will not, hmmm?
--YODA, Star Wars Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The last quote I sort of put in as a hidden message because officially, today I am a year older than I was yesterday.  That is so weird, how can a person become a year older in one day?  Okay, today I am exactly 24 hours older than I was yesterday, but 365 days older than I was a year ago.  Big deal...  By the way my evil twin brother Tommy Lee Jones turned 67 today as well.  Mom said he got the good looks and better personality but Mom liked Tommy more than me.

No comments:

Post a Comment