Sunday, March 2, 2014

You young whipper snappers!

....................................................................
God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
The courage to change the things I can,
And wisdom to know the difference.
...............
I have never been to an AA meeting but the above prayer, I have found is a pretty good mantra to live by.
 
A Dying Man's Wish

A dying addict gathered his three best friends at his bedside and handed each of them an envelope containing $25,000 in cash. He made them each promise that after his death and during his repose, they would place the three envelopes in his coffin. He told them that he wanted to have enough money to enjoy the next life.

 A week later the man died. At the wake, the three friends, each concealed an envelope in the coffin and bid their old party friend farewell.

 By chance, these three met several months later. Soon the first friend, feeling guilty, blurted out a confession saying that there was only $10,000 in the envelope he placed in the coffin. He felt, rather than waste all the money, he would spend it on a trip to South America to get cocaine. He asked for their forgiveness.

 The next friend, moved by the gentle sincerity of the first, confessed that he too had kept some of the money for a wild party. The envelope, he admitted, had only $8000 in it. He said, he too could not bring himself to waste the money so frivolously when it could be used to have a great time.

 By this time the last friend, a pot head, was seething with self-righteous outrage. He expressed his deep disappointment in the felonious behavior of two of his oldest and most trusted friends. "I am the only one who kept his promise to our dying friend. I want you both to know that the envelope I placed in the coffin contained the full amount. Indeed, my envelope contained my personal check for the entire $25,000."

No comments:

Post a Comment