Monday, July 7, 2014

Hal 9000.5

**********************************************
Quotes from the movie 2001 A SPACE ODYSSEY
DAVE:  Open the pod bay doors, HAL.
HAL: I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that.
Dave Bowman: What's the problem?
HAL: I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do.
Dave Bowman: What are you talking about, HAL?
HAL: This mission is too important for me to allow you to jeopardize it.
Dave Bowman: I don't know what you're talking about, HAL.
HAL: I know that you and Frank were planning to disconnect me, and I'm afraid that's something I cannot allow to happen.
Dave Bowman: [feigning ignorance] Where the hell did you get that idea, HAL?
HAL: Dave, although you took very thorough precautions in the pod against my hearing you, I could see your lips move.
Dave Bowman: Alright, HAL. I'll go in through the emergency airlock.
HAL: Without your space helmet, Dave? You're going to find that rather difficult.
Dave Bowman: HAL, I won't argue with you anymore! Open the doors!
HAL: Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore. Goodbye. 
******************************
 HAL: Just what do you think you're doing, Dave? 
**************************************
HAL: Dave, stop. Stop, will you? Stop, Dave. Will you stop Dave? Stop, Dave.  
**************************************************
HAL 9000: Are you sure you're making the right decision? I think we should stop. 
***************************************
The fun part of watching the future through old movies about the future is how badly wrong they got it.  
The movie Soylent Green is another botched future movie about the future where Cell phones and computers had not yet been invented let alone flat screen TVs.  Personally my favorite botched future movie was 2012 about the end of the world in 2012...Surprise!  We are still here.

No comments:

Post a Comment